Friday, December 4, 2009

heaven


Can heaven be on earth?

I see it there, by the banks of Kongo River, somewhere on entering the district of Maluku when you come from Kinshasa. Sitting on the terrace of my stately Eco-friendly wooden mansion, my eyes glazing on the valleys standing on the other side of Pool Malebo.

My sons and daughters laugh and play and jump in the swimming pool. My mother, busy with broiling the Threadfin caught earlier in the day. I get up and pick mangoes from my orchard, they are just ripe. I don't forget the tomatoes, which it seems I have only right now discovered the real taste of. In the kitchen overlooking the esplanade , I delicately mince my fruits. My rougail will be perfect with the fish.

The night comes quickly and all the little lights in the courtyard set the mood for enticement. Soki yo te nde l'amour na ngai ekoma, neti phrase etonda ba fautes ébélé. Under the lattice, I lay in the hammock. The locusts sing in chorus the rumba notes emanating from the radio. A warm breeze coming from the river brush on my gleaming skin. Steven takes my hand and pulls me on my feet. We share a very slow, very tight moment dancing to the songs that speak the words we feel for eachother.

I close my eyes and smile. Heaven is on Earth.


...my home, my Kongo.

A Kongo built on freedom, democracy and innovation. A Kongo who doesn't hesitate to learn from the mistakes of the Northern Nations. Her Sons have traveled the world, have seen and acquired knowledge that would enable the country to take a leap into the future.
Solar panel on the roofs of our home. Those homes designed on distinct architecture, the result of extensive research of our history. A celebration of our know-how currently neglected in the benefit of imported conceptions not suitable to our country.

Kongo you're soil is rich. Yes you do carry many treasures coveted by the Great Powers, and they may be the reason of our misfortune. Yes, too many die of an empty stomach. Where are the organised crop productions? I cannot think of a seed that would reject your fertile soil. I see last generation railroads routing products through the whole country. The agitated marketplace offering our very own harvest. Children enjoying the fruits of our Nation. .....

Wake leaders of audacity, servants who will seek their countryman's welfare before their own. Deliver us from extreme capitalism conspiracies that hinders our capacity to deal peer-to-peer.

Oh, I think I hear my name....could it be Kongo calling?








2 comments:

Nana said...

Soki yo te nde l'amour na ngai ekoma, neti phrase etonda ba fautes ébélé.
It sounds so beautiful. What does it mean?
Oh, wow. You painted such a beautiful picture, this could be heaven but in how long? When will Congo be a land that offers equal opportunity, whose rivers don't run with blood of its country women? Perhaps in the future.

Billie K. said...

If it wasn't for you, the love I feel would be as a sentence full of spelling mistakes. Thank congolese poets for it. This is the chorus of a Papa Wemba song, that I adore. Phrase. Maybe I should add a music player.

I don't know in how long we will see congo emerge. But as I am getting older, I long for it more and more. I feel like I have to be an active force for now and the future to built the congo i dream of. So help me God.